Monday, November 07, 2005

The Last Battle: Part 2, Draft 1

Two updates in one day? The gears must be really greased tonight! Not much to say about this one, though some questions from the first part I wrote should be getting answered. I did a little edit to Part 1 because I decided to change something when I got to Part 2. See if you can spot it

By Cyra's request, the receiving chambers were divided in two. One room was the formal room, typical of the receiving chambers of any castle. The walls were decorated with ornate tapestries of historical events and shields in honor of the kingdom's greatest heroes. Tall, freestanding candlelabras evenly spaced near the walls provided light. A royal blue carpet lead up to the throne, which was decorated with carvings of dragons. Cyra's own coat of arms hung behind the throne. There were chairs with velvet cushions and deep mahogany tables to the sides which could be moved to sit in front of the throne if the occasion required it. This was the room Cyra used for receiving diplomats, nobles from other kingdoms, or local leaders from her own land. It was for business of state and reflected that.

The other half of the receiving chambers was intended for meetings that didn't call for such formality. It was much smaller and had three large windows looking out on the gardens. A cushioned window seat ran along the bottom of the windows so guests could sit and enjoy the view. At the room's center was a low table surrounded by comfortable chairs. A small collection of books was housed in a shelf on the southern wall. The northern wall was mostly devoted to a painting of dragons in flight. A few dignitaries who Cyra was particularly friendly with had been invited into this receiving room. But mostly, it was used for meetings with friends and other people who weren't expecting all the pomp and ceremony that usually surrounds a queen. It was in this room that Cyra sat waiting for Kataya to arrive.

Three brisk knocks at the door announced that Cyra's guest was here.

"Come in," Cyra replied.

Kataya entered the room slowly. She was dressed in the relaxed clothing knights typically wore when staying at the castle between assignments. Only the crests on the shoulders identified her rank. Cyra noticed that her chestnut hair had grown long over the winter. She would likely have it cut or tied back upon leaving the castle. Kataya looked a little nervous, which was unusual but not unexpected, given what she was asking for.

"Your Majesty," Lady Kataya said in greeting, dropping on one knee and striking her palm.

"Hello, Kata." Cyra smiled and Kata seemed a little more at ease. Cyra motioned for her friend to sit in the chair facing her. As Kata got herself settled, Cyra reached for a tea kettle that had been brought up from the kitchens earlier.

"Tea?" she offered. Kata declined and Cyra poured herself a cup.

"You wanted to speak with me about my request?" Kata prompted gently once Cyra had taken a sip of her tea.

"I did," she answered, setting the teacup back on its saucer. "I wanted to talk with you before I go about approving it."

Kata seemed happy, but still a little worried. Cyra tilted her head, waiting for a reply.

"You do realize," Kata began slowly, "what I'm asking for?"

"Of course." Cyra took another sip of her tea. "You're asking me for permission to cross the Keltarian border to ensure our own is secure."

"And," she continued, just as Kata was looking even more worried, "you're asking for my tacit permission to go and spend time with Santok."

Kata let out a sigh of relief and Cyra grinned at her.

"I'm not completely oblivious, you know," the queen said.

"Sometimes..." Kata shrugged and the two women laughed.

"I just wanted to be sure you knew what you were agreeing to," Kata said. "I didn't want to think I was deceiving you, though I guess that's not very likely."

Cyra shook her head and finished the last of her tea.

"I've known for a while what was happening between the two of you," she said, letting her eyes wander to the windows. "I've given it much thought and watched you pretty carefully too. And from that, this could only benefit everyone."

She turned to face Kata again, her eyes firmly meeting those of her friend.

"I don't want you to think I'm taking this lightly though. The fact that you are my friend went into my decision, but not as much as the fact that you are one of my best knights and you have never disappointed me. Though I don't believe right now that Santok is using you, I'm confident that you're strong enough to keep him from doing so if he ever tries."

Kata nodded. She clearly wasn't taking this lightly either.

"I want to believe that your friendship with Santok will lead to and end to all this fighting," Cyra continued. "I know that's a lot to ask and I'm not expecting you to accomplish that anytime soon. But I want you to remember that you are always a knight of this kingdom and I expect you to act like one. I know this may be difficult, given the situation you'll be in. But I trust your judgment and I know you'll do the right thing."

Kata was beaming now, and a little flushed from the compliments.

"Thank you," she said softly. Cyra smiled.

"Now," she said, rising to her feet, "you have some packing to see to and I imagine you'll be helping with the feast preparations as well. So I won't take up any more of your time."

Kata grinned and got up as well. "I'll see you at the sending then?"

Cyra nodded. "If not sooner."

2 comments:

trekker9er said...

Was the change that Cyra calls Lady Kataya by Kata now, and before it was Kat?

Good set up so far. I'm interested to see what it leads to, as clearly the hopes of the woman of what's to come do not match what happens in Apex 1.

Sara said...

Yup, that's it. I just thought it sounded better that way.